In the today’s World Multitasking is a very popular word. I think everybody heard this word. But is it helpful to perform completely and concentrate on a work fully? I don’t think so. Of course you can do some work simultaneously like we can watch TV while having dinner, talking while walking. Because these types of tasks require different brain activity.So, while you are reading something, a mild instrumental music is OK. But when you are ironing your clothes and at the same time if you are talking with your friends over speaker phone is very much risky. Isn’t it? Welcome to the frenetic pace of Multitasking where people measure our performance on the basis of how many jobs we can do at a time? In this corporate world prospective employees are assessed by their ability to perform in many works simultaneously to save time. Actually multitasking is a deadly idea.
It is unfortunate that we don’t appreciate people for taking lots of time to do something. We should avoid some multitasking madness in the following way:
- 1. We should encourage people even our kids by staying in the present. It will improve their power of concentration.
- 2. When you are reading a book, turn off the TV, or disable email alerts which is beeping on your laptop or on a smart phone. It actually distracts you from doing an important report generation even when you are in Office. Put a do not disturb board while you are doing something important and divert your calls or switch off your mobile for a period of time.
- Clear your desk so that a little thing diverts your attention less.
- While you are attending a conference call just put off your computer screen to concentrate only on the call.
- Divide your task as per priority according to your schedule. Allocate one task at a time and complete it.
Todd Oppenheimer, author of “the Flickering Mind” says “our love towards technology combined with multitasking has turned us into adrenaline junkies”. He also says we have become a very short-term society”. We might lose our next generation of great thinkers. So, to be more productive take your time and do your work more efficiently.